Monday, April 5, 2010

FCP Tip #005: Preview complicated timelines without rendering.

I've got a lot on my plate this week, so this is a quicky but I still think you'll find it very helpful. Most people find themselves creating sequences that have layering demands which exceed the realtime capabilities of any FCP set up. When you're short on time you may not want to render these complicated parts only to have to tweak them moments later and re-render. A handy way to play through those deep layered parts, or your render-intensive transitions, is to press OPTION+P. This will give you a nice smooth approximation of what the rendered scene will look like. Although not in real time, this technique still provides a great preview of motion and feel. Plus, it allows you to keep flowing with your edit rather than stopping to render.

4 comments:

  1. Phineas J. Whoopee, you're the greatest!

    If I could have back the hours wasted rendering when I could have just done this, I'd be a millionaire, only with time instead of money.
    I think you know what I'm trying to say.

    You're a freakin' genius.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gene! Or should I call you "fan base"? You're gonna love the handy new product I'll be releasing to the public soon. And the guy with the most comments on here is getting one free. Wonder who that's gonna be...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't know if the last comment uploaded. If not, instead of repeating myself I'll just say keep up the good work. The tips have been ridiculously useful so far.

    ReplyDelete